Monday 7 September 2009

The first time i met Carine...

I'll never forget the first time I met Carine Roitfeld - mainly because I didn't even realise it was her...
We had a call in "Le shopping" to say some packages had arrived for the editors/assistants so off I went to reception to pick them up and on my way... well you know what happens next.
There was a little group of effortlessly stylish women huddled in a group blocking the door, my exit. Now, as an intern - as nice as people may be, you know you're at the bottom of the ladder and extremely unimportant so I felt slightly daunted by the fact that I would have to break up this little rendez-vous and ask to get through. Well before I even opened my mouth, my presence must have been felt because around turned this immaculately made-up woman.
I have to admit, I looked at her and seeing the slight lines at the corner of her trademark smoky eyes did not expect to see the face of an older woman - her silhouette is age defying. She was wearing clothes that even I couldn't pull off at 20 - partly due to the fact that I'm not your average size 0 fashion martyr (I enjoy a bit of cake every now and then). But there she was, the infamous Carine Roitfeld and I didn't have a clue...
"Bonjour!" She beamed at me, yes BEAMED. I will remember that smile to this day because let me tell you, a smile like that does not come often in the fashion world. And even in my oblivious state, I still remember feeling - wow I like this woman...
It wasn't until later on that day that it actually hit me - O.M.G that was Carine!

No comments: